By: Charlotte Miller
Serves: 1 large smoothie, 2 small smoothies
ANTIOXIDANT RICH SMOOTHIE FOR POST-WORKOUT FUEL
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
You just finished a full-body strength workout and you are desperately in need of a thirst-quenching, refreshing smoothie beverage to kick start your day. Post-workout, it is imperative to get protein, carbohydrates, and electrolytes to refuel, replenish, and reward your body for both the physical and mental effort you put into your workout. My post-workout smoothie includes a blend of antioxidant-rich foods and protein powder that maximizes nutritional value in one delicious smoothie.
I prefer non-dairy milk primarily because large amounts of dairy upset my stomach, so I use almond or oat milk. Chia seeds are included and have 5 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber. Chia seeds are a great source of soluble fiber, which helps with digestion, and they contain chemical compounds that have antioxidant properties (Romankiewicz, et al, 2017). All fruits contain antioxidants, but berries are exceptionally rich in antioxidants and carbohydrates which help replenish and recharge your body after a workout (Rajendran et al, 2014).
What exactly are antioxidants? They are protective chemical factors against free radicals that can become reactive oxygen species, basically, they protect our cells from damage and disease (Rajendran et al, 2014). Yes, they are pretty amazing, so do not forget to get your post-workout smoothie in!
hol3health Fact: Antioxidants are protective chemical factors that work against free radicals that can become reactive in your body
(In the order of how you should add them into the blender)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 large banana
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 handful of frozen strawberries
- 1 handful frozen raspberries
- 1 handful frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of PB2 protein powder (or any nut butter)
- Start by adding the liquid base, one cup of almond milk.
- Add a large handful of washed spinach and one large banana.
- Add one serving (2 tablespoons) of chia seeds.
- Add a handful of each of the following frozen fruit: strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
- Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter protein powder. Protein is essential for muscle recovery and muscle growth post-workout.
- Blend these ingredients together for 90 seconds and VOILA! Enjoy this antioxidant-rich, peanut butter, berry-blast smoothie! (I add a few berries on top for the aesthetic)
P.S. reusable straws only #plasticfree
Rajendran, P., Nandakumar, N., Rengarajan, T., Palaniswami, R., Gnanadhas, E., Lakshminarasaiah, U., Gopas, J., & Nishigaki, I. (2014). Antioxidants and human diseases. Clinica Chimica Acta, 436, 332–347. Retrieved July 20 from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24933428/
Romankiewicz, D., Hassoon, W., Cacak-Pietrzak, G., Sobczyk, M., Wirkowska-Wojdyła, M., Ceglińska, A., & Dziki, D. (2017). The Effect of Chia Seeds (Salvia hispanica L.) Addition on Quality and Nutritional Value of Wheat Bread. Journal of Food Quality https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jfq/2017/7352631/