By: Remy Raccuia
Serves: 8 – 10 bites depending on size
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Protein bites are the perfect on-the-go breakfast or post-workout snack. Being a college student, I find these bites perfect for ensuring I get protein into my diet each day. I usually use Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides in order to get protein and collagen into my daily routine. Collagen is vital for skin preservation; it is the most responsible agent in skin elasticity (Fletcher, 2019). In addition, including flaxseed meal to these bites adds fiber and omega-3 fats (Tan, 2017). These bites are not only packed with nutritious value but also taste delicious!
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 scoop of protein powder (I prefer to use Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides)
- ½ cup peanut butter (can substitute for another nut butter)
- ⅓ cup honey (can substitute maple syrup)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Start by adding ¾ cup oats into a blender or food processor. Make sure to only pulse a few times.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the blended oats, flaxseed, protein, peanut butter, and honey in a large bowl and mix together.
- Once the consistency is smooth, fold in chocolate chunks, making sure to distribute them evenly throughout the mixture.
- After folding in the chocolate chunks, begin to form the bites using your hands.
- *Optional step* Roll the bites in shredded coconut for an added crunch!
Fletcher, Jenna (2019). What to know about collagen supplements. Medical News Today. Retrieved from July 20 from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325344
Tan, Verana, RD, PhD. (2017). Top Ten Health Benefits of Flax Seeds. Healthline. Retrieved from July 20 from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-flaxseeds