By: Lily Gravitz
Prep Time: 45 minutes
This creamy cheesy squash is a great non-dairy recipe that even fools my dad. If you are craving cheezy and rich alfredo sauce but want to lighten it up by using spaghetti squash, this recipe is for you. Spaghetti squash is packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamin A, making it a great alternative to pasta (Beany, Stoffella, Roe, and Picha, 2002). The vegan alfredo sauce contains cashews which are an excellent source of iron, zinc, and magnesium which helps to strengthen your bones. For added protein, you could cook and egg or add any type of protein like chicken to the dish. While this recipe pairs the squash with a creamy vegan alfredo sauce, you can eat spaghetti squash with tomato sauce or pesto as well.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup canned regular coconut milk
- ¾ cup of roasted cashews, soaked in water for at least an hour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup parsley (fresh or dried)
- Vegan parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the squash in half and drizzle the oil over the halves. Put face down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes (you will know the squash is ready when you can easily slide a knife through the squash)
- For the sauce: in a high powered blender (I use a Nutribullet), combine the coconut milk, soaked cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, and vegan parmesan (optional). Blend until smooth and creamy
- Remove the squash from the oven and scrape the squash into a bowl (will turn into strands like spaghetti).
- Toss the squash and the cashew cream sauce and top with your favorite protein or roasted veggies.
Gardner, K. (2019, January 29). Spaghetti squash will keep kids and parents happy. Retrieved Aust 3, 2020, from https://www.livestrong.com/article/427647-what-are-the-benefits-of-spaghetti-squash/.
Nelson, D (2019, September 25). Building a plant-centered pantry: Cashews. Retrieved August 10, 2020, from https://desireerd.com/health-benefits-cashews/.