By: Lily Gravitz
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Mushrooms are one of the healthiest superfood vegetables out there, packed with vitamins and immune-boosting qualities (WebMD). This “scallop” recipe is totally vegan and emulates the real thing by cutting the mushroom stems into slices and sautéing them. While you can use any mushroom you’d like, trumpet mushrooms have thick stems that are specifically perfect for achieving a scallop’s meaty texture. I like to serve this on a bed of sautéed truffle leeks. Whether you are vegan or just participating in Meatless Mondays, this recipe is a winner.
- 4 trumpet mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 leeks
- 2 tablespoons quality olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Lots of sea salt and pepper
- Heat up a large sauce pan on high and saute the garlic with the oil.
- Wash and chop the leeks. Put them in the saucepan with the garlic oil and let them saute.
- Chop the trumpet mushrooms so that the stems are in slices and the tops are separated.
- Once the leeks are very soft and almost translucent, add the mushrooms into the pan and saute (about 5 minutes) with the thyme. Add more oil if needed and season with lots of salt and pepper.
- To plate, add the leeks and mushroom slices on top. Enjoy!
WebMD. Mushroom Pictures. Retrieved September 10, 2020, from https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-all-about-mushrooms.