By: Kaitlin Cleary
With summer coming to an end, I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes for a fresh take on a classic salad. Kale has a tough texture, so I recommend massaging it with your choice of a neutral oil beforehand. Incorporating pecans add crunch and flavor, especially if toasted in the oven.
- 2 ½ cups of Kale
- 4 tsp avocado oil
- 1 cup madarin oranges, strained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup of pecans (toasted)
- ⅓ cup of sliced green onions
- 2 Chicken Breasts sliced
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup of sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger, chopped and peeled
- 1 tbsp Honey or Agave
- ⅛ cup Coconut Aminos
- ⅛ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Avocado Oil
Directions for Salad:
- Begin by massaging 2 ½ cups of Kale with 2 teaspoons of avocado oil and a pinch of Salt for 5 minutes.
- Once Kale is softened, begin cooking the sliced pieces of chicken breasts on the stove over medium heat for 8 minutes, making sure to season with salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is cooked, let it rest.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the kale, mandarin oranges, green onions and pecans.
- Once chicken has cooled, add into the salad blend.
Directions for Dressing:
- Add all ingredients together in a blender, except for the avocado oil, and blend until smooth.
- Slowly add in the avocado oil while blending until smooth.
- Serve atop the salad.