By: Remy Raccuia
Prep Time: 50 minutes
I have been drooling over the trendy olive oil cakes all over my Instagram feed the last few months. My roommates & I tried @littlehouseconfections ‘bomb ass olive oil cake’ a couple weeks ago and it received our stamp of approval! Since the divine experience, I have been crafting my own, perfect recipe. I have been baking with almond milk due to a recently discovered dairy intolerance & it worked perfectly in this recipe. In addition, olive oil creates a rich flavor and contains an abundance of antioxidants, which help to reduce the risks of chronic disease (Leech, 2018). Olive oil is an ingredient where quality matters, especially when baking. For starters, you want to be sure you are using an extra virgin olive oil, as opposed to a more refined, diluted olive oil – sometimes called ‘light olive oil.’ Purchase an olive oil in a dark glass bottle-it helps to protect the oil from sunlight, which can reduce the quality and taste (Yalcin & Schreiner, 2018). Once you find quality olive oil, this recipe is super simple to make & extremely delicious!
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Start by beating eggs and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the almond milk and olive oil and mix until combined.
- Begin adding the flour in three equal parts, mixing in between each part to create a smooth consistency.
- Stir in the salt, vanilla and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into a 6-inch cake pan and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until cooked throughout and slightly golden on the top.
- Once the cake is done, sprinkle powdered sugar on top for a sweet bite!
Leech, Joe MS (2018). 11 Proven Benefits of Olive Oil. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-olive-oil
Yalcin, S., & Schreiner, M. (2018). Stabilities of tocopherols and phenolic compounds in virgin olive oil during thermal oxidation. Journal of food science and technology, 55(1), 244-251.https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-017-2929-5