By: Julia Gagulska
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
A bagel with cream cheese is a delicious, classic breakfast to start the day. However, a healthy alternative to cream cheese, coined “farmer’s cheese,” brightened with your favorite veggies, can make it all the better. Paired with sourdough bread, this is my family’s favorite breakfast treat! Farmer’s cheese contains less calories and fat than cream cheese, yet is similar in taste and texture (Wellness Letter, 2013). Not only is farmer’s cheese a healthier choice, but it is also extremely versatile in how you prepare it. Along with subbing your cream cheese, you can also use sourdough bread instead of a bagel. Bread contains tons of essential minerals such as iron, magnesium, and calcium. However, only sourdough contains lactic acid, which allows these minerals and nutrients to be absorbed by the body. Sourdough is also a prebiotic! Meaning, it is a nutrient that feeds helpful bacteria within your digestive system, and they aid in keeping your gut healthy and improving the digestive system (Sherrell, 2020). This is just one way of preparing the almost cream cheese, but the flavor profile is interchangeable and allows for lots of creativity!
- 7.5 oz. block of farmer’s cheese
- 3-4 heaping tsp. of sour cream (just enough to make the cheese spreadable)
- 2 green onions
- 2-3 medium radishes
- 4-5 baby carrots
- Wash your radishes and carrots thoroughly
- Dice the green onions, radishes, and carrots.
- Place the farmer’s cheese in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add sour cream, the chopped veggies, and salt to the bowl.
- Mix until evenly distributed.
- Spread on sourdough bread and garnish with your favorite fresh veggies! Enjoy.
Berkeley Wellness Letter. (2013). Ask the Experts: Farmer Cheese and Calcium. Retrieved fromhttps://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/farmer-cheese-and-calcium
Sherrell, Z. (2020, June 13). Why sourdough bread is healthier than regular white or wheat bread. Retrieved from https://www.insider.com/is-sourdough-bread-healthy