By: Neda Shahriari
Serving Size: 1
Prep Time: 30 min
Grain bowls are a great way to incorporate lots of different foods into one meal. This bowl with rice at its base is completely vegan and includes numerous superfoods that keep you satisfied for long after you eat. Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that provide benefits like promoting heart health (Hill, 2018). Kale, avocado, sweet potato, and chickpeas are all superfoods rich in nutrients like vitamins A and C which help to strengthen the immune system, and help organs like the kidneys, lungs, and heart work properly (McManus, 2020). The combination of all of these foods make this recipe both nutrient dense and delicious.
- ¼ cup white basmati rice
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 cup sweet potato
- ½ cup chickpeas
- ½ avocado
- 1 /2 cup cubed extra firm tofu
- 3 baby carrots
- Cube your tofu.
- Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel to get all of the moisture out.
- Marinade the tofu in 1 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp veggie oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika.
- Place the marinated tofu in a ziplock bag and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, fry the tofu on a pan on medium heat for about 10 minutes on each side (or until they are crispy).
- Marinade ½ cup of chickpeas in 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Fry the chickpeas on a pan on medium heat for about 15 minutes (or until they are crispy).
- Add 1 cup of chopped kale to a pan with olive oil on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Cube ½ of a sweet potato.
- Season the sweet potato with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Place the sweet potato evenly on a pan and place in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Add all of the ingredients to a rice base with avocado, carrots, and arugula. Enjoy!
Hill, A. (2018, July 09). 16 Superfoods That Are Worthy of the Title. Retrieved November 05, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/true-superfoods
McManus, K. (2020, April 13). 10 Superfoods to Boost A Healthy Diet. Retrieved December 14, 2020, from https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10-superfoods-to-boost-a-healthy-diet-2018082914463