By: Neda Shahriari
Serving size: 1
Prep time: 10 min
This Mediterranean-inspired veggie toast is the perfect meal to start the day. Incorporating meals with different energy sources is critical for our health. A common misconception is that carbs are bad for you. Do not let this statement trick you! Carbohydrates are actually good for us and provide a great source of energy and fiber (Link, 2018). The toast is spread with hummus, a plant-based protein containing a wide variety of vitamins and minerals like: magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, thiamin, vitamin B5, and potassium (Raman, 2018).
- 1 piece of whole wheat toast
- 1 tbsp roasted red pepper hummus
- 1 medium white mushroom
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful of spinach
- ¼ of a white onion
- Toast 1 piece of whole wheat toast to your liking.
- Spread 1 tbsp of roasted red pepper hummus (or any hummus of your choice) on the toast.
- In a pan, sautee ¼ of a white onion in cooking oil on medium heat until they appear golden in color.
- Add in 1 medium-sized, sliced white mushroom and 4 cherry tomatoes.
- Once everything in the pan is sauteed, add in 1 handful of spinach.
- Add all sauteed veggies to the top of the hummus toast.
- Season with salt, pepper, and any other seasoning you like. Enjoy!
Link, R. (2018, October 23). Is Bread Bad for You? Nutrition Facts and More. Retrieved August 26, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-bread-bad-for-you
Raman, R. (2018, May 2). Is Hummus Healthy? Top 8 Benefits of Hummus. Retrieved August 31, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-hummus-healthy