By: Julia Huston
Serving Size: ~2 glasses
Time: 10 minutes
Congrats y’all, we have officially made it to 2021! January is a great time for starting new habits, setting new goals, and making new friendships. With that being said, January is also one of the coldest months of the year in most parts of the U.S., and our bodies become more susceptible to diseases as temperatures drop. Cold air can actually slow down mucus clearance, which is one of the main ways that our immune system protects us from harmful bacteria (Medical News Today 2020). In order to fight the cold and keep our bodies as healthy as possible, it is important to provide our immune system with the means to do so. Here is a quick and easy juice recipe with powerful immune-boosting ingredients; check out the benefits of each of these foods down below. If you don’t have a juicer on hand, you can also make this recipe in a high-powered blender and strain or just enjoy as is.
Grapefruit: Rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A, two powerful vitamins that benefit immunity.
Orange: Great source of Vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties that protect your cells from substances that damage the body.
Lemon: Also high in Vitamin C
Garlic: Contains allicin, which boosts the disease-fighting response of white blood cells in the body when they encounter viruses.
Ginger: Contains gingerol, which can help lower the risk of infections and inhibit the growth of many different types of bacteria.
Turmeric: Known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 inch piece of fresh turmeric (or substitute for two teaspoons ground turmeric)
- 2 medium sized oranges
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Peel the grapefruit, oranges, and lemon (or if your juicer does not require that you peel the skin off fruits, you can omit this step.)
- Cut the skin off of the ginger and turmeric.
- Place all ingredients in your juicer or a high-powered blender. If you are using ground turmeric, do not place it through your juicer, just add it to the final product once everything else is juiced.
- Pour over ice, stir, and enjoy!
Hewings-Martin, Yella. “Colds and Flu: Why Do They Strike in Winter?” Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, Sept. 2020, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320099.
Schend, James. “What to Eat and Drink to Boost Your Immune System.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 30 Apr. 2020, www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/foods-that-boost-the-immune-system.