By: Remy Raccuia
Prep Time: 10 minutes
If you are like me, you definitely spend too much time scrolling through TikTok. And if you do, you definitely know the tortilla hack that has been all over my for you page. I decided to cave into the trends and try it out for myself ~hol3health edition~. Unpopular opinion, but I am not the biggest fan of eating eggs. However, egg whites are packed with protein which allows you to stay full and maintain muscle (West, 2018). This quesadilla recipe also allows you to get your greens in! With a spinach tortilla and spinach leaves inside, this meal is filled with vitamin C, calcium, vitamin A, and iron. Spinach is basically a superhero vegetable – helping with immunity, improving our skin’s appearance, and creating a healthier gut by creating a protective barrier against bad bacteria (Gilliam, 2019). I am definitely prone to picking sweet breakfasts over savory, but after making this new recipe it might be a toss up!
- 1 spinach tortilla
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup of cheddar cheese (can substitute)
- ¼ cup of mushrooms
- Handful of spinach
- ½ of an avocado
- Start by cooking the egg whites and mushrooms, keep them separate, on a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Once the ingredients are cooked, begin assembling the spinach tortilla. As seen on tik tok, cut a line in the middle of the tortilla. (Click this link to watch a tutorial video).
- Add egg whites, cheese, spinach, and mushrooms to four separate corners of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla into a triangle and place on a panini press. Remove once cheese is fully melted.
- Slice half of an avocado and place on top of the breakfast quesadilla.
- Top with hot sauce, salsa verde, or whatever preferred!
West, H. (2018). Egg Whites Nutrition: High in Protein, Low in Everything Else. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/egg-whites-nutrition
Gillam, R. (2019). Spinach Benefits: 18 Reasons to Get This Leafy Green in Your Meal Plan. Women’s Health. Retrieved from https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/food/healthy-eating/a29470673/spinach-benefits/