By: Remy Raccuia
Prep Time: 25 minutes
I am always searching for pizza alternatives since it is one of my favorite foods. I made this alternative for the first time last week and it will definitely be joining my rotation of healthy meals. First and foremost, eggplant is a great low-carb substitute for pizza. A low-carb diet helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes (Mayo Clinic Staff, 2020). In addition, eggplant is packed with antioxidants. Antioxidants have been proven to prevent chronic diseases and help to protect our bodies (Link, 2017). This meal is also great for college students or anyone who is on a budget. With minimal ingredients, and many of which can be re-used to remake this meal, it is extremely affordable, while tasting like an indulgent treat.
- 1 eggplant
- Marinara sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 450℉.
- Next, slice the eggplant in circles, creating the pizza base.
- Lay the eggplant slices onto a cookie sheet that is lined with tin foil. Drizzle eggplant with olive oil and garlic salt.
- Pre-bake eggplant for about 10 minutes or until it is starting to get softer.
- After the pre-bake, start creating the pizzas. Put a spoonful of sauce across, and then a sprinkle of cheese on top. Feel free to add any additional toppings at this time.
- Bake the topped pizzas for 7-9 minutes or until the cheese begins to become golden brown.
Link, R. (2017). 7 Surprising Health Benefits of Eggplant. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eggplant-benefits
Mayo Clinic Staff. (2020). Low-carb diet: Can it help you lose weight? Mayo Clinic. Retrievedfrom https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831