By: Remy Raccuia
Servings: 1.5 – 2 dozen cookies (depending on size)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
As we are entering into the spring season, these bright, funfetti cookies are proven to be the perfect treat. I try to incorporate sprinkles into whatever dessert I can – they’re my weakness! These cookies have a healthier spin on them and are perfect for my dairy-free friends. This recipe calls for coconut sugar as the sweetener, which contains electrolytes, such as potassium, that help to regulate the body’s water content (Hammers, 2015). In addition to coconut sugar, I exclusively use vegan butter when cooking or baking at home. Vegan butter not only has health benefits, but it also is better for the environment. Plant-based diets reduce greenhouse gas emissions and water usage (McGrane, 2020). Overall, these cookies are the perfect sweet treat and pack just the right amount of crunch with the sprinkle coating.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start by preheating the oven to 350℉.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Next, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, almond milk and egg together with an electric mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix slowly until completely combined.
- Fold in the desired amount of sprinkles.
- Roll dough into balls and coat with extra sprinkles on top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden.
Hammers, M. (2015). 10 Reasons to Switch to Coconut Sugar. PETA. Retrieved from https://www.peta.org/living/food/health-food-coconut-sugar/
McGrane, K. (2020). Is Plant-Based Butter Healthy? Nutrition and How It Compares. Healthline. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/plant-butter