By: Neda Shahriari
Serving Size: 1
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wraps are a great way to incorporate protein, veggies, and other nutrients in one fell swoop. This wrap is packed with protein, greens, fiber, and healthy fats that fuel our bodies throughout the day. Tuna is high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are a great source of healthy fats as they are beneficial for heart, eye, and brain health (McGrane, 2020). Consuming tuna also provides a great source of vitamins like B-12 into our diets (Frey, 2020). Vitamin B-12 is known for providing a boost in energy that helps us when we are feeling sluggish (Mann, 2021). Combining tuna with a tortilla wrap is a great way to incorporate carbs into the meal, since tuna contains no carbohydrates.
- 1 tortilla
- 1 can of albacore tuna
- ½ of a tomato
- 2 sticks of celery
- ½ of a white onion
- ¼ cup of dark red kidney beans
- Handful of baby arugula
- One slice of provolone cheese
- ½ of an avocado
- 2 tbsp mayo
- Salt and pepper
- Place your tortilla on a pan on the stove on medium-low heat.
- Add one handful of baby arugula or any greens.
- Add one slice of provolone cheese on top of the greens.
- Place the lid on the pan to help the cheese melt.
- Make the tuna salad:
- Add one can of tuna to a bowl.
- Dice up two sticks of celery and add them to the bowl.
- Dice half of a white onion (can also use red onion) and add to the bowl.
- Rinse off ¼ cup of dark red kidney beans and add them to the bowl.
- Add two tbsp of mayo to the bowl and mix up all of the ingredients.
- The last step is to add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the tortilla with the greens and provolone from the stove.
- Add the tuna salad to the tortilla.
- Add some slices of tomatoes and avocado.
Frey, M. (2020, August 15). Tuna nutrition facts and health benefits. Retrieved March 18, 2021, from https://www.verywellfit.com/tuna-nutrition-facts-calories-and-health-benefits-4114019
Kelli, M. (2020, November 6). Is canned tuna good for you, or bad? Healthline. Retrieved February 24, 2021, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-canned-tuna-healthy#benefits
Mann, D. (2021, March 17). 10 surprising ways vitamin B12 benefits your entire body. Retrieved March 18, 2021, from https://www.besthealthmag.ca/list/vitamin-b12-benefits/