By: Neda Shahriari
Serving Size: 1
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Being in college, sometimes we get a little lazy and need a quick and delicious meal. Thankfully, prepackaged ingredients, meals and sauces at grocery stores make this easy! For example, Trader Joe’s masala sauce is flavorful and so easy to use. All you need to do is add it to any dish to give it that extra flavor. Not only is this meal easy to make, but it is also packed with nutrients. One of the main ingredients in the masala sauce is ginger. The main bioactive compound in ginger is gingerol, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (Warwick, 2020). Another ingredient in the sauce is turmeric, which also has antioxidant effects that protect our cells from free radicals, with the potential of shielding out bodies from numerous diseases like heart disease and cancers (Gunnars, 2018). It’s hard to say no to this dish with all of its health benefits, never mind how delicious it is!
- ¼ cup of basmati rice
- ¼ cup of cubed chicken tenderloin
- ½ Avocado
- 2 tbsp of dark red kidney beans
- 3 tbsp of Trader Joe’s masala sauce
- ¼ diced white onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Sautee ¼ cup of a white diced onion in a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the onions are translucent, add one clove of minced garlic.
- Add ¼ cup of cubed chicken tenderloin.
- Add 2 tablespoons of dark red kidney beans.
- Finally add 3 tablespoons of masala sauce and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
Gunnars, K. (July 13, 2018). 10 proven health benefits of turmeric and curcumin. Retrieved on March 18, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric#TOC_TITLE_HDR_1
Warwick, W. (October 7, 2020). 11 proven health benefits of ginger. Retrieved on March 17, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-ginger