By: Julia Huston
Total Time: 20 minutes
It’s time to hold on to the last bits of Summer before Autumn comes creeping in! This refreshing watermelon salad is my go-to during warm months; the sweet watermelon, crisp mint, and savory feta come together to form the most delicious combo you will ever try. Watermelon is a yummy and hydrating fruit that actually provides a wide variety of health benefits. Not only does each slice of watermelon contain 92 percent water, it is also a great source of antioxidants, beta-carotene, and vitamin C (Healthline). Watermelon is also in season from May through September, so stop by your local grocery store and pick up one of these bad boys before the season ends! Eating seasonally will not only guarantee a better taste, but it also means that your produce will be more nutritionally dense, and the environment will thank you too (Mind Body Green). Since your food is traveling less miles to get to your plate, eating with the season benefits the environment by significantly reducing greenhouse gas emissions and general waste.
- 4 cups cubed watermelon (about half of a medium sized watermelon)
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional for spice)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup torn mint leaves
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- Flaky salt for garnish
- Juice of half of 1 lime
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Dash of pepper
- Make your dressing. Whisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your watermelon, cucumber, jalapeño, red onion, mint, and basil.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss a few times to combine.
- Garnish with salt and enjoy!
Jennings, K.-A. (2018, August 9). Top 9 health benefits of Eating Watermelon. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/watermelon-health-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4.
Julie M. Goolsby, M. A. (2019, October 16). 4 reasons to eat by the Seasons + what is in season right now. mindbodygreen. https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4807/10-Reasons-To-Eat-Whats-In-Season.html.